Asthma Management: Preparation for the September Asthma Peak
Asthma management – was NOT what The Happenings had in mind with their hit “See You in September” !
Summer goes by quickly. Let’s start getting ready for asthma season.
Every September, there is a dramatic increase of children being take to Emergency Rooms with asthma attacks. Week 38, known as the September Asthma Peak, can be unpleasant for one in four Canadian students living with asthma. Alarmingly – each year in Canada – 20 children and 500 adults die from asthma.
According to the CDC, in 2013 the economic burden of Asthma in the workplace was 81.9 billion and the 2017 CDC stats say 8.3% of both adults and children have asthma, and there are 1.7 million ER visits yearly due to asthma and there were 3,615 deaths attributed to asthma.
An asthma attack is a sudden worsening of asthma symptoms caused by the tightening of muscles around your airways (bronchospasm). During the asthma attack, the lining of the airways also becomes swollen or inflamed and thicker mucus — more than normal — is produced.
Asthma Management & other Upper Respiratory Disorders with Dave Allen GSK:
Dave Allen, the head of the Respiratory Therapy Area at GSK (GlaxoSmithKline) and is responsible for the identification of novel differentiated medicines and their progression to registration and launch. He leads a group of over 200 scientists and clinicians who exploit scientific innovations that have the potential to address the major unmet needs in diseases such as COPD, severe asthma, acute lung injury and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Dave is a member of a number of GSK’s senior decision-making boards within research and development. In November 2014, Dave was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree from the University of Strathclyde in recognition of his pioneering work in drug discovery. Dave joined the company as a research chemist in 1981 after completing his MA and BA at Oriel College, Oxford. During his career he has also worked on discovering antibiotics and cardiovascular medicines, as both a medicinal chemist and project leader.
Topics of Discussion:
- Why do asthma attacks rise in September? Preparing for September through out the summer
- Asthma management, COPD
- Developing asthma at different ages
- severe asthma phenotypes
- a mild asthma – sudden increase in symptoms, difficulty breathing, always take asthma seriously
- The spike in asthma in Canada, Israel & other countries in September
- The cold virus, rhinovirus, transferring the cold virus & asthma
- Triggers for asthma
- medication adherence
- The Canadian Sleeve Sneeze….so smart
- Research in upper respiratory disease
- T-cell therapies from oncology
- Researching asthma focusing on people going in and out of remission
- inflammation and disease, immune response
- Stop smoking – its a necessity – once there is COPD it is not reversible
- Burning animal dung……..ugh….and COPD
- spirometry – assessing lung function
- COPD + Cardiovascular disease
- Smart Inhalers – digital inhalers the future of inhalers – cost effective management
Best In Corporate Health: Providing Health Technology , Live interactive webinars, Corporate health engagement and participation……
We provide the scalability & cost savings with technology, and still provide personalized health, guiding people to have fun participating, all toward the corporate health culture.
URAC approved health technology…..Having earned the trust of 6 million people per month
- health hub
- personal health record….import health data into one space
- digital health coaching determined by Health Risk Assessment
- white labelled
- Health Risk Assessment (Customizable)
- Extensive reporting – Productivity, Presenteeism, Data to measure ROI VOI
- wearable technology
- virtual adventures
- Corporate challenges
- Fully integrate with other health tech
- Engagement……the most robust health technology platform at an unbeatable price
- Choosing the best specialist: rankings & cost
- Live, interactive webinars: engagement, building health literacy –
Questions, brainstorming, demos……..Shira@BestInCorporatehealth.com
Let us customize your corporate health program.
Chief Health Enthusiast – Best In Corporate Health
- Shira is regularly consulted by Naturopaths, oncologists, health coaches on cancer exercise and exercise adherence.
- Has assembled over 20 health and fitness professionals with varying specialties to bring to corporate wellness programs
- Platforms include: Speaking, One-one/group health coaching, Retreats, Course development for in house delivery, Metrics to measure success available, Partners always included
- Now offering live interactive webinars, just as if each participant has a personal health coach – making corporate wellness programs affordable to all.
- Shira has been interviewed & published in hundreds of resources over the last 15 years:
Articles featured in: European Registry of Exercise Professionals, The National Post, Investment Executive Magazine, Directory of Greater Toronto, Canadian Leukemia & Lymphoma Association, Prostate Cancer Canada, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Anytime Fitness, Today’s Black Woman, Today’s Seniors, Medical Fitness Network, FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered), Willow (Breast & Hereditary Cancer Support),Myeloma Canada, Cancer Exercise Training Institute, Urban Poling for Breast Cancer, ROW – Recovery on Water for Breast Cancer, Sirius XM Doctor Radio