Ankylosing Spondylitis…An Interview with Dr. Nigil Haroon
Ankylosing Spondylitis is a form of arthritis that primarily affects the spine, although other joints can be affected, causing inflammation of the vertebrae and can lead to severe, chronic pain and discomfort.
Back pain is a major cause of absenteeism and presenteeism in the workplace.
May is National Arthritis Month
Ankylosing Spondylitis is not a rare disease. The Spondylitis Association of America says it is more prevalent than multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis and Lou Gehrig’s disease combined, but, it is tricky to diagnose. It can take up to 10 years from the time the first symptom is experienced to get an accurate diagnosis. Patients often have to see five or more health professionals, and over 60% (finally) get their diagnosis from a rheumatologist.
Today with Dr. Haroon, we discuss:
- differentiating Ankylosing Spondylitis from arthritis, from back pain
- ASAS International Society for the Assessment of Spondyloarthritis
- Axial Spondyloarthritis
- Symptoms: differences to mechanical back pain & osteoarthritis
- The importance of exercise
- The effects of inflammation – symptoms throughout the body, potential risk with cardiovascular disease
- Eye (uveitis), gut & skin (psoriasis) side effects
- High association with a gene HLA-B27, Genomics
- The window of opportunity for diagnosis providing best treatment & outcomes
- “We’ve Got your back ” UHN Education for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Medication choices
- Lifestyle tips – Group exercise, seeing a physiotherapist
- Epidemic of arthritis now: lifestyle tips- Diet, exercise, caloric restriction, compression
More info, please refer to StandUpToBackPain.ca
Dr. Nigil Haroon:
University Health Network, in our own very beautiful Toronto, Ontario Canada. Dr. Haroon is Associate Professor of Medicine and Rheumatology, University of Toronto, and speaks 4 languages!!! From my research – it looks like the Doctor has earned the Dr. several times over between medical school, internal medicine, Immunology, rheumatology, and sure why not get a PhD as well! Listen & learn with Dr. Haroon
Providing Health Technology , Live interactive webinars, Corporate health engagement and participation……
We provide the scalability & cost savings with technology, and still provide personalized health, guiding people to have fun participating, all toward the corporate health culture.
URAC approved health technology…..Having earned the trust of 6 million people per month
- health hub
- personal health record….import health data into one space
- digital health coaching determined by Health Risk Assessment
- white labelled
- Health Risk Assessment (Customizable)
- Extensive reporting – Productivity, Presenteeism, Data to measure ROI VOI
- wearable technology
- virtual adventures
- Corporate challenges
- Fully integrate with other health tech
- Engagement……the most robust health technology platform at an unbeatable price
- Choosing the best specialist: rankings & cost
- Live, interactive webinars: engagement, building health literacy –
Questions, brainstorming, demos……..Shira@BestInCorporatehealth.com
Let us customize your corporate health program.
Chief Health Enthusiast – Best In Corporate Health
- Shira is regularly consulted by Naturopaths, oncologists, health coaches on cancer exercise and exercise adherence.
- Has assembled over 20 health and fitness professionals with varying specialties to bring to corporate wellness programs
- Platforms include: Speaking, One-one/group health coaching, Retreats, Course development for in house delivery, Metrics to measure success available, Partners always included
- Now offering live interactive webinars, just as if each participant has a personal health coach – making corporate wellness programs affordable to all.
- Shira has been interviewed & published in hundreds of resources over the last 15 years:
Articles featured in: European Registry of Exercise Professionals, The National Post, Investment Executive Magazine, Directory of Greater Toronto, Canadian Leukemia & Lymphoma Association, Prostate Cancer Canada, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Anytime Fitness, Today’s Black Woman, Today’s Seniors, Medical Fitness Network, FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered), Willow (Breast & Hereditary Cancer Support),Myeloma Canada, Cancer Exercise Training Institute, Urban Poling for Breast Cancer, ROW – Recovery on Water for Breast Cancer, Sirius XM Doctor Radio